Translate

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shantideva's awesome writing

Over the past week or so, I've been getting into 'The Way of the Bodhisattva', by the sage Shantideva. A mind-expanding book to say the least. I have been a devotee of Buddism since my University days when I was taking Religious Studies courses. This book goes far beyond any of my previous investigations into Buddhist materials. Nothing I could say would do this book justice, only to say that it answered some questions I had about the Bodhisattva path and left me with so much more to ask.
A Bodhisattva is one who has the chance to attain Nirvana but defers it in order to help a certain number of people attain Nirvana ahead of him. It's usually in the 100,000's, and is called a 'Bodhisattva vow'. I have tossed and turned the idea over in my head and realized that I am nowhere near Bodhisattva status. Too many attachments and defilements still. Perhaps in another couple of lives - maybe. However, it was a great book to read and be inspired by. To truly be a Bodhisattva, one has to do whatever it takes to help others. I just do not have that level of compassion yet.
More than any other book I've read, this one provides a sort of road map to help the aspirant dissolve the 'I' and the 'Other' by interchanging them to show they are one and the same. Perhaps when I have more courage to be compassionate, I will be able to apply what I have learned from this awesome book. Without a doubt, this will be a book I will return to in a years' time. I have still very much to learn from 'The Way of the Bodhisattva', and perhaps the student will be ready next year for the teacher to appear. One can only hope.

No comments: