Translate

Saturday, October 17, 2020

Don't get burned out

     Back in 2013, when I first discovered the likes of 'The day after', 'Protect & survive', and the grandmaster of all things bleak and horrible; 'Threads', I danced on the edge of being burned out by all the books on and about nuclear war I was consuming. I've risked burn-out before, and have usually taken steps to pace myself. Since that depressing time, I rarely read anything relating to that topic. Oh, I still get as far as I can with 'The day after' and watch 'Countdown to Looking Glass' (O Canada!) on near-heavy rotation. Thanks to those diseased twats at the Beeb, I cannot endure 'Threads' on Youtube (or on Vimeo, I suspect) because those wets keep pulling it down.

    This has nothing to do with nuclear war, however. Thanks to the pandemic, I've been drawn to books dealing with fictional and historical pandemics of late. The most recent foray is into a stunning conclusion book called 'Pandemic' by Scott Sigler. Now I have the second book in the trilogy ('Pandemic' being the third one) on hold and waiting for me at the library. The story had a glacial pace at first but after a while, elements from the likes of 'The Andromeda strain', 'Outbreak', 'The Stand', and numerous other luminaries come into play. This book quickly became hard to put down. Oh, and those of you who like stuff like 'By dawn's early light' will love the nuclear part of the story. China nukes part of Russia at one point. To quote my main man David Hunt; I bet you'll never guess what happens next!

    I have another book about pandemics waiting for me here at home but I decided to try to avoid burning out. The pandemic we're dealing with right now is enough. Dr. Roussin tightened a few screws yesterday; but I'm not likely to notice considering I'm so anti-social anyway. We might be getting some snow but it's not very likely. That is all for me right now. I hope the two or three of you who follow this nonsense of mine are doing well and staying safe.

BYE.

No comments: