Translate

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Working Chick

Mainly a post about life and work today. I was going to say a few words about the Tibetan sage Milarepa, but I've been so caught up in the usual whirlwind of day-to-day life that I'm just going to have to lay Milarepa by the side of the road. February has just begun, and I came to the conclusion that I've been working for approx. six months at my two school libraries. Still feeling very good about the job, and actually a little more sure that I can do this job. I sent off book orders the other day, and all I need to do now is wait for the books to arrive. I've also sent off a list of books I want to weed out of existence. Books written in the 1960's and 1970's, for the most part. Some of these books have been damaged beyond repair and I've set about ordering new copies, but most of these books are older than some of the teachers. As I understand it, anything older than 1990 is OLD, and should be weeded. Especially the technology and social science books. Yikes!
I just need the okay from the principal to go forward. Just touching base and making sure that the collection remains solid. I've ordered about 50 new books and plan to order another 100 for 2009-2010. At least another 100. I just had to get the okay from the principal to send the book orders to the Media Centre and they take it from there. It's SO much better than what was going on at my previous job. I felt good about ordering books and began to feel my footing was a little more solid this time. There is no doubt that I like this job much better than my previous one. If all goes well, I will stay at this job for the next five years (or so) and then move on to two other schools. I want to stay part of the school division for as long as possible. Just a thought: if I was ever offered my old job again, I would accept it with two conditions... take me permanent right away (none of this probation stuff) and find a different Teacher Librarian to rule me!
Of course, I'm more or less my own ruler (in the library) as it is, and I might not want to return to serving a T-L. I also get paid more at the job I have right now. Why give something like that up to serve a T-L? Okay, I guess I'm done blabbing for now. Back to Trollope and the fox-hunts I go. (He never gives up!) BYE.

No comments: