Translate

Monday, February 8, 2021

Blisteringly cold

      Winter finally caught up with us. I expect indoor recess all the rest of the week. We had an inservice today, so the kids got to stay home and stuff. On the literary front, I finished up a poignant book called 'The woman on the Orient Express'. I only call it poignant because it woke so much nostalgia within. Agatha Christie was married and divorced in her early days, and she made an escape to the Middle East to get away from the rumour mill. I wonder now what her ex thought when she became something of a superstar writer. Did it stick in his craw - an ache that not even death could heal? Yes, I am spiteful. What of it?

       Anyway, the book was so drenched in Mesopotamian affairs that I flashed back many times to the Christie classic 'Murder in Mesopotamia'. The author of 'The woman on the Orient Express' confirmed my suspicions that one of the characters in the book who crosses paths with Christie was the inspiration of one of the characters in 'Murder in Mesopotamia'. This character was a real person, believe it or not. As a result of all my flashing back, I found myself enjoying the foray very much. If I recall correctly, 'Murder in...' was the first Christie book I have ever read. Both books are very good, by the way.

       Continuing on the nostalgia train, I discovered another reason why I love the band Squeeze as much as I do. When I was in high school, like most people of my time, I watched 'Hackers'. My first encounter with Angelina Jolie, Jonny Lee Miller, and Matthew Lillard, as well as my first encounter with Fisher Stevens as a bad guy. When you're used to Ben Jabituya in 'Short Circuit', it's a little bit of a shock to see him as this douchey hacking mastermind. Anyway, at the end of that movie, while Miller and Jolie are in the rooftop pool, there's a great song that plays. I've been in the dark as to which band released that song for YEARS. 😥

      Thank you IMDB! It took me a bit of searching but I finally found the song in question.

      Is it any wonder that I love Squeeze so much? All this time and I don't even have one of their albums. I think that's going to change soon. Shoutout to KeeFHQVideos for posting this video. Am I getting people in trouble by giving them a shoutout? Not like there are any people actually wasting their time on my blog. Now, I hope people stay warm in Canada, as the cold weather ain't going away anytime soon. Maybe by this weekend.

BYE.

No comments: