Translate

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Countin' it down!

Although my space is not decorated a la Xmas, I'm more aware of Xmas' approach this year than in previous years. Maybe it's just because I'm looking forward to the 2 weeks off from the loonies on the road, the nuts at work, and from my alarm clock-radio. This should be a pretty stressless time, considering I don't cook or prepare anything (beyond wrapping gifts) and I don't have people over to my little hovel. The weather has been just wonderful of late (apart from that cold snap from last week) and as long as the snow stays on the ground until the end of December, things will continue to be great. My last day at work is this Wednesday coming up, so definitely I'm counting the days down.
I just finished reading a grotesque little book about everyday life England during the 1600's and 1700'. I'm not deriding this book, either - life in England was pretty nasty and uncomfortable in those days, and the author of 'Hubbub' eagerly discusses all parts of this grubby time. If you have a weak stomach, steer clear of the chapter called 'Mouldy'. You will not regret heeding this advice. Ignore this advice and read this chapter, and you may never want to eat again. Just kidding, but you have been warned. Those who like the works of William Hogarth are in for a good time, as his more famous pieces come up in this book (hey, who better to show the scummy underbelly of English society?) - Step right up for 'The Rake's progress', 'The Harlot's progress', and of course, the pathetic pillars of society as seen in 'Gin Lane'.
Now I've moved on to the life of Sam Pepys (again!). He was no stranger to the underbelly of society. It made sense to read more about him after finishing up with 'Hubbub'. That's about all. BYE.

No comments: