Translate

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Stinky Stuff

I guess I should really call this one 'Sensitive Nose and Gag Reflex' but I like a little bit of alliteration. One of my pet peeves is that I have a sensitive sense of smell, and it has a tendency of picking up unpleasant-smelling stuff very strongly. Another reason why I'm not into pot - the stuff smells God-awful. Make it smell like roses or chocolate and I might reconsider my stance. Tobacco smoke is another big one. I'm more or less immune to the Canadian variation, but watch out when I'm in the States! Not very pleasant. This sense of smell is linked to my gag reflex. It does not take much to set me off, and I do not enjoy dry heaving my brains out.
And then there's the sickeningly musty smell of age. I cannot be in an antique store for very long, before my stomach starts making signs for me to get out before something disgusting happens. I mention this because I am trying to get through a book written and published in the 1960's, and my sense of smell is on the warpath whenever I open this book. After a few pages, I either have to close the book or pinch my nose with a free hand so I don't have to breathe in the smell of aging paper. That or I just breathe in through my mouth, but that doesn't work for very long, and I catch a whiff and start feeling nauseated.
As a result, I don't often hang around those book sales the Children's Hospital hold every few months. Just too many old books for one sense of smell. I also don't have too many old books on my shelves. I'll give most of my books away in time as it is, preferring the library over my own cache. Unfortunately, I find a lot of old books at the library - hence the reason for my posting today. Perhaps I can find the same information in a newer book. We'll see how long I last with this book. Maybe I can ask the library to get a more recent reprint - if such exists. Call it a case for weeding. Libraries do it all the time. I should know.

No comments: