Translate

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

The stuff and the other stuff

    All the walking I've been doing has lead to me getting dry and cracking heels. I can lotion them until the cows come home and it does not seem to help. I've had suggestions on better lotions - more foot-specific but far more expensive lotions. Perhaps I will one day crack - puns, yeah - and purchase that incredible foot-specific stuff for my withered heels. Oh, and my cat just met the neighbour's dog a moment ago. My furry little turd hissed at that decent little doggy - bit of a jerk, eh?

    So here we are in September. The kids make their triumphant return this Friday. Gotta love the school system. Well, at least Goertzen took over from that insufferable piece of garbage Pallister. Yeah, another miserable Tory, but he proved he's at least human by trashing the loathsome Bill 64. We don't need such a miserable amalgamation gumming up the works. So, the last time I posted, I mentioned three books that had caught my eye. I also said something about mentioning three books I'd read in August. So here we go, ye awesome few!

 

 I don’t read LGBTQ+ titles very often; nor do I read coming-of-age stories very often. I chose to fill both gaps with Chris Gill’s “The Nowhere”. Seb and his crusty, grumpy father live out on the Outback – an isolated existence until Jake moves next door with his family. The story starts in medias res with Seb in his thirties and feeling a little lost. It jumps back to his teens and forward again as Seb strives to reconcile his feelings about the secrets he keeps.  (5 out of 5 stars)

 


Grace Lin’s “When the sea turned to silver” is a phenomenal read, and I  wanted to read more of her works. “Where the mountain meets the moon” is stellar as well. Young Minli goes on her story-telling quest to find the Man in the Moon and ask for his help. Warm, wise, and exciting, readers will be enthralled by the cast of immortal characters from Chinese legend.  It’s aimed at middle-school but would be great for nearly anyone. (5 out of 5 stars)

 

 

 

 

Chellamuthu’s journey from India to the U.S. and then back to India is heartbreaking and powerful. I’d never heard of him, but I was entranced by his story with Camron Wright’s “The orphan keeper”. Chellamuthu’s life as a child was hard, but losing his parents and his world crushed him. His reinvention as Taj Khyber Rowland when he reaches his new family in the U.S. is just something he has to do to keep himself together. It’s a potent, tragic story and one I am glad I got to read. (4½ out of 5 stars)

 

 

      

 

        So that is the book update. No, I don't plan to post my three favourite books for September. This was just something I said I would do. I need to post more entries here, don't I?


BYE.

No comments: