Translate

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Mind on the Maritimes

        For snuffs and giggles, I wandered through a Lonely Planet book about the Maritimes the other day. Mom and I went to Nova Scotia back in 2017 and I know I would love to go back to the East Coast one day. Perhaps once the pandemic settles down (assuming Hell gets hit with global cooling) la Madre and I can make it back there. Mom and Dad went for a few weeks a long time ago and Mom's opinion of New Brunswick was not encouraging and her opinion of PEI is that it's too small. I found the existence of islands off N.B. and now I want to go there just to see these mysterious islands. That and work on my Français, as New Brunswick boasts a decent French-speaking population. More there than here in Manitoba? Definitely far fewer than in La Belle Province, but any chance to improve my French is worth it, right?

        I would love to go back to Sydney in N.S. and try out more forms of seafood chowder. I would also like to see Newfoundland, although you can keep the George Street pub crawl. I would also like to see PEI even though I'm not that fond of L.M. Montgomery's works. Maybe just a peek at what Canada's leaders were up to in 1864 during the Charlottetown Banquet besides tons of eating. Were the Victorians like the Romans in the way they gorged themselves? I just found out that the Roman concept of the vomitorium is not what I expected, so I won't mention it anymore. Ugh... the emetophobe in me is starting to complain, so let's MOVE ON.

      I have a personal day coming, so I'm in a pretty good mood about that. Prince Philip, royal squeeze, consort, and foot-in-mouth extraordinaire, has crossed into Elysium (like all good Greeks). He was 99 (and looked it), but this June he would have made it a full century. Rest well, Duke of Hazard. I've started reading some Philippa Gregory about the Wars of the Roses. My new fixation? Better than me talking about nukes and Threads, right? Damn that movie; ever since 2013, I've found myself filtering things through that bleak prism. Not the best mindset to have, but I'm every step a pessimist and that's that.

      On a cheerier note, Mom got the first dose of the vaccine yesterday and most of my aunt and uncles have gotten it. My memère got both doses back in March. One day (again assuming that global cooling thing), I'll get my first dose. Either PM Shirtless or our embarrassment of a cheapskate Tory premier made a few mistakes, because people are not getting the doses fast enough. That's my take on the matter, anyroad. So, sims....

 





       I like finishing entries up on summat of a happy note. BYE.

No comments: