Translate

Friday, April 2, 2021

Granadaland vs. Yorkshire Television

      Wouldn't that make for a waste of celluloid? Not when one's looking at the Wars of the Roses. Lancashire is, as far as I know, part of Granadaland. Any folks from the UK here? Can you let me know if I'm right or wrong? Anyway, I've been on summat of a Wars of the Roses kick, and the book I'm looking through today is Desmond Seward's 'The Wars of the Roses'. Reminds me that I need to read the plays 'Richard III' and 'Henry VI' again. It's been a very long time since I've read them. However, I have been reading a fair bit of fiction documenting that period in history, and to be honest, I had no idea how the war got started.

       What drives the everyday gentrydude to don armour and fight for either side? Is fear the bigger motivator, or is it greed? Or is it the interest in waking sleeping vendettas? Either way, this is a very good book - rich with colour and style. Some authors would turn this momentous point in history into so much dust with embarrassingly dry writing. Seward's doing a wonderful job; though to be honest, I'm glad I read a couple of novels showcasing the various characters drawn from history. They make appearances and I love being able to point and say, 'Hey, I recognize that dude!' This book fleshes the backstory out and clothes those characters even more solidly.

       Today was Good Friday, when JC was stabbed crucified and laid to rest for a few days. Hmm, I need to watch 'Life of Brian' again. The supermarkets were open for normal business hours today, which really upset members of my family. I get it - it doesn't seem right. I'm willing to blame the pandemic for this outrage. Anyway, I might as well close up this quick bit with what matters a lot ... sorta.






 

 

 

BYE.

No comments: